Attila's speech

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Sep 4 02:16:35 UTC 2007

getica looks pretty much like gothic to me.......whats up with fredric?

ualarauans <ualarauans at yahoo.com> wrote:          --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> I would mention faura *andaruna or faura *andruna, thinking of
> andastaþjis and andstandjan, but I'm not sure whether the latter
two
> words are semantically related or just look that way.

Andastaþjis "opponent", "enemy" and andstandan "to oppose", "to
stand against" are certainly related, both etymologically and
semantically. Look at p.t. stoþ "[I, he, she, it] stood" dropping
the nasal too.

> Of course it's traditional to practice Gothic by translating the
> bible, but it's not that uncommon to try other sources. I've tried
> translating labor songs, and I'm wondering what sort of pseudo-
> historical theory could be read into that...

I suggest you just have to try and see what you'll get in comments ;-
). Seriously speaking, it would be great if people were more eager
to share their Gothic compositions with the group. I'm sure many of
us have some.

Ualarauans