Civilization & Culture

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 10 14:38:30 UTC 2008

Hi all. I hope that there still are a few fellows here so this isn't
totalt in vain.

I though about words for civilization and verbs to describe it, like
civilize.

After I thought a while I came up with an idea which was based on the
word un-mana-riggws which means smth like fierce, cruel, barbaric and
took the oposite word mana-riggws to mean civilized, (mostly an
oposite meaning of barbaric). As noun I used mana-riggwitha (sf). I'd
like to know what riggws is and what it mean.

Later I found out that I already translated the word 'civilized' but
forgot about it. At that earlier time I used uf-hausjands as the
meaning 'behaved'.

I also think there's a connection between the words civilization and
culture, both coz civilized countries/people have a higher culture.
And the icelandic word has a connection. Right now I can't tell for
sure but if I remember correct civilization is siðmenning or smth
like that and siða (a verb) means to bring up and menning (not sure
if thats totally correct either) means culture, probably from a verb
meaning 'to make a (behaved?) man of'

Any ideas about this?

What would the gothic word for the Cultural Revolution be?