Nauh niwi liuþ (1) - keinan

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Apr 30 00:22:16 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

>> Alternatively, you could use the attested verb 'keinan'
or 'uskeinan':
>> Jai, agleiþ, þan brutilons uskeinand [...]

> Is keinan a specific word for buds breaking out?

I don't know whether it would have been strictly limited to buds
breaking out.  It's hard to tell from the few attestations.  But the
examples suggest that it probably includes that meaning at least.
Streitberg offers the German translation '(hervor)keimen' [
http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/HTML/B074.html ], Köbler
"(hervor)keimen", "germinate, sprout, bud". The simplex 'keiman'
translates Greek BLASTANEIN "to bud, sprout, grow"; 'uskeinan' Gk.
FUEIN, EKFUEIN, corresponding to Latin 'nasci', 'oriri', 'germinare'.
'miþuskeinan' translates Greek SUMFUESCAI = Latin 'simul exorti'
"spring up, sprout (with it)". It's used in the Gothic Bible of corn,
thorny plants, and leaves on a fig tree.