Gothic forms of common names?

Arthur Jones arthurobin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 2 16:58:27 UTC 2008

In responding to gadrauhts, I would submit

Frithureiks; see cf. Frithugairns
(shortened by Romans, perhaps by others, to Fritigern).

Attila's bride: Ildico (Hildegund)

ARTHUR A. JONES

--- On Sat, 8/2/08, Fredrik <gadrauhts at hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Fredrik <gadrauhts at hotmail.com>
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Gothic forms of common names?
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, August 2, 2008, 9:48 AM

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroup s.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> I was thinking that a list of Gothic forms of various names would be
> nice. Many common western names come from either Hebrew, Greek,
Latin,
> or Germanic roots; many of the former are well-attested in the
Gothic
> bible, via Greek or occasionally Latin.

Yes I think that too. I would perhaps be quite easy to list all the
names attested in the bible, right?
And names of gothic kings are known from different sources.
I also think it could be OK to create gothic name forms of not attested
names that are known in other germanic languages.
Names known from roman lanuages such as spanish could be used as well.
Spanish Rodriguez would correspond to gothic hrodareiks. But maybe this
is attested already, does some one know that?

/Fredrik

ps. my name have I seen as frithareiks, but since the first part is a u-
stem (I guess) I suppose the name should be frithureiks instead.