The Gothic word for "mother"

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 5 18:10:48 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "joe" <changingmoon at ...> wrote:

> I have a question about the Gothic word for "mother", "aithei". The
> general Indo-European pattern for "mother" is
> m + vowel +T + vowel +/-r, where T = [t], [d], voiced [th], or
voicless
> [th]. This pattern is shown, for example in Latin "mater', and
> German "Mutter". The Gothic word "aithei" does not conform to the
> general Indo-European pattern, nor does it conform to the Germanic
> patter (exemplified by "Mutter"). Could anyone explain this? Did
the
> m + vowel + T + vowel +/-r undergo a change to produce "aithei"?
Was
> the Gothic word botrrowed from some other language?
>
> Thank you.

I don't know if I can come up with a splended answer but I'll try ;)

Aithei is not deriven from the same origine as german mutter and
latin mater.
The gothic correspondence would probably have been *modar. But gothic
use different a word also for father wich is atta (not deriven from
the same origin as german vater and latin pater) gothic have the word
fadar which is from the same origin.

I don't know where aithei comes from but finnish has a similar word
äiti = mother which is from germanic origin, (perhaps northgermanic)

/Fredrik (frithureiks)