Gothic forms of common names?

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 6 21:13:24 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Fredrik wrote:
>
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@> wrote:

> > > I think Waldamêrs would be still more natural :)
> > >

> > Yes I agree...this would be the most natural since it would be a
> > translated form.
> >

> I thought Vladimir meant Airþareiks? I'm not sure how anyone gets
> Waldamers from Vladimir.

I guess you think of mir in the meaning world/airþa? But it's
probably an old word meaning famous and cognate to gothic mêrs/mêreis.
The first part vladi would probably better be translated to reiks but
walda- is the most similar word and also a cognate.
I think the form Waldamêrs also should be used for persons named
Valdemar, which ofcoz is related and also a germanicized form of
vladimir.