Hallo hallo!

Johann von Messer furry_von_messer at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 19 17:39:01 UTC 2008

I'm really excited to be in this group. I've been longing to speak
with another person who is studying Gothic (as opposed to resurrecting
Joseph Wright or Wilhelm Streitberg from the dead). Dead languages
have always been my specialty it seems. But the harder things,
phrases, what have you always befuddle me. So maybe I can get some
help here, as well as offer everything I know to this community! :D

I spend a lot of my free time reading my countless books and websites
on Gothic, trying to bring modern English and Gothic together. Such as
dates, years, names, etc. Basically, I'd like to type out some of the
things that I have translated (or believe I have, I've learned quite a
bit just looking through this group that my books never shared).

Saei Sokeiþ Gajukeiþ
(( As close as I could get to )) Who tries wins

þuk ahmin meinin nima
I bring/take you into my heart (( Obviously not hairto ))

Jah aftra laistand eis þizai saiwalai afar
(( A line from a song, though this looks rather horribly done to me now ))
And again they chase after the mind/sense/whatever you translate 'Sinn' as

Liuta is
You are a hypocrite

Jabai þu gaurs sijais, þau gaurs sijau
If you are sad, then I am sad

Fraletiþ þamma ansau wiganis
Set free the God of War, Let the God of War roam/free

Sa airus Iohannis im
I am the messenger of John/Johann

Andnam þrins bokos
I received three books

Arait ain(hw)arjizuh fraleweiþ
Aryte betrays all

Arait sa fijands ist
Aryte is the enemy

Andweihats þo frawaurht
Fight against the corruption

This is where I have major issues and need more than just corrections:

Im (jere ahtautaihun)/(ahtautaihunwintrus) suns (jere
niuntaihun)/(niuntaihunwintrus)
I am eighteen years old, soon nineteen. (( When looking this stuff up,
I found many examples, but never any that fit, so I modified them as
best as I could to fit here. What do you think or am I just being
annoyingly backwards? It appears to me that Gothic does not have a
passive past. But I'm assuming the sentence can be past by saying
'was' instead of 'am.' Let's see... ))

Wairþaida/Warþ gabaurans Faibruarjus .ie. (fimftataihunda), (( can't
type the numbers in here)) .900+900+100+90. (þusundi jah niun hunda
jah niuntehund)
I was born on February 15, 1990
(( I know a ton of genetive should be thrown in the numbers, but I'm
really stumped on it. Excited to see though how many I got right. <:D ))