Hello

Bob Offer-Westort Bob at PATHAWI.NET
Fri Dec 26 20:25:29 UTC 2008

I'm working on some independent research into the origins of the Old
English poem known as 'Deor', & have been reading Wolfram for some
Gothic context (mostly concerning the Ostrogoths during the lifetimes
of Cassiodorus & Jordanes). I plan to read Heather & Kaliff, as well
as Ingemar's thesis & Thomas Burns *A History of the Ostrogoths*, but
I rather suspect that I'm missing out because my reading derives
mostly from looking at English-language materials. I don't have a
background in history, & I'm coming from outside the Academy, so I'm
not really sure how to navigate resources save by looking thru
bibliographies. Is there material in German or other modern European
languages since 1988 that one should read in order to have a decent
understanding of scholarly interpretation of later Gothic history? How
does one go about finding out whether or not this sort of material
exists other than asking on a listserv? Basically, how do academic
Gothicists keep up to date?

(I am learning Latin, & do plan to eventually read some of the primary
sources directly, but currently am not yet capable of so doing.)

Thanks much for any advice any of y'all can provide.

-Bob
  San Francisco, California, USA

P.S. A happy Kwanzaa, Chanukkah, Boxing Day, & Feast of St. Stephen to
you all. Enjoy the turtle doves.

On Dec 7, 2008, at 5.12 PST, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:

> Hi David and welcome!
>
> The Goths are disputed in many ways and so is their history. I have
> myself disputed in the matter and my dissertation is published in
> bookform as "The Well Spring of the Goths". It is a bit unortodox when
> it concerns what makes them Gothic, where I mean earlier researcher
> got
> it wrong, but otherwise it tells the conventional story in great. I
> have a literature index where you might find a lot of literature about
> the Goths. You can test read it at Google library. The most well known
> classical books internationally are Herwig Wolfram "The Goths" and
> Peter Heather "The Goths". An interesting new angle is also Anders
> Kaliff "Gothic Connections".
>
> Best
> Ingemar
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "dernehelm" <dernehelm at ...> wrote:
> >
> > Hello. My Name is David Bustillos. I know basically nothing about
> the
> > Goths. But I want to learn. does anyone have a list of links or of
> > books in English that are recommended for some one wanting to learn.
> >
> > Also are there any colleges that attempt to teach Gothic?
> > Thank you,
> > David

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional