Warrior Class

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Feb 6 00:10:23 UTC 2008

The West Germanic forms point to Proto-Germanic *knehtaz, which would
give Gothic *knaíhts.  Icelandic uses a different word, 'riddari', a
loan from North German (cognate with Modern High German 'Ritter'
"knight", literally "rider").  The word is said to have been
introduced into Norway as a title in 1277, but Einarr Skúlason's poem
Geisli from the middle of the 12th century contains a related
loanword, 'ríðari' "knight" (cognate with English 'rider' and Modern
High German 'Reiter' "rider").  This could be back-engineered into
Gothic as *reidareis.

I haven't read all of this discussion, so appologies if I'm repeating
what's already been suggested, but a more ancient alternative with
similar connotations of warriorhood and service is Proto-Germanic
*þegnaz (with cognates attested in Old Norse, Old English, Old Saxon
and Old High German alliterative poetry), whence English 'thane'.
This would give Gothic 'þigns'.

Lama Nom