Principles of reconstruction.

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Feb 8 16:12:15 UTC 2008

> 1. skjöld "shield" (the Gothic cogante is recorded in Eph 6:16)
> 2. örn "eagle"
> 3. flyga "to fly"
> 4. tugga "to chew"
> 5. sätta "set, put" (the Gothic cognate of this is recorded)
> 6. däggdjur "mammal"
> 7. ost "cheese"
> 8. hänga "to hang" (the Gothic cognate for the strong verb is
recorded with both transitive and intransitive senses)

That reminds me, here's another very handy link:

http://runeberg.org/svetym/

Elof Hellquist's Svensk etymologisk ordbok.  6 is especially
interesting; both roots are attested in Gothic.  This would make a
very handy addition to our reconstructed "modern" vocabulary.  There
is a Gothic derivative from the same root as 2 recorded, namely 'ara'
"eagle", cognate with Old Norse 'ari', but since ON had 'örn' there's
no reason Gothic couldn't have had both words too.

LN