Principles of reconstruction.

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 9 21:34:50 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> > 1. skjöld "shield" (the Gothic cogante is recorded in Eph 6:16)

I actually wrote this wrong. it should be 'sköld'. Why? I don't know,
coz the more correct form should be skjöld I think, since old swedish
has skiolder

> > 2. örn "eagle"

isn't this form (beside icel. ari) just a "wrong" form just as björn
with the n added to the stem and made a u-stem with u-umlaut?
(maybe arnuR)

> > 3. flyga "to fly"

how is it about initial f infront of l,does it become th in gothic?
i think i've seen forms such as thliuhan for flee/escape

> > 4. tugga "to chew"
> > 5. sätta "set, put" (the Gothic cognate of this is recorded)
> > 6. däggdjur "mammal"

i've (ofcoz) tried to make such a word in gothic based on this swedish
word. djur (animal) is ofcoz dius and the word (verb) dägga which
isn't as common as dia ar cognate with pgmc dajjan isn't it?

> > 7. ost "cheese"

we have discussed this earlier so the answer can be found somewhere
around here

> > 8. hänga "to hang" (the Gothic cognate for the strong verb is
> recorded with both transitive and intransitive senses)

since hänga can have two meanings i guess it would be translated in
gothic to hahan and hahjan (is these correct)

is this a special gothic thing to have h for ng in words such as hahan
for expected hangan and huhrus for hungrus?