Principles of reconstruction.

Justïn justinelf at JUNO.COM
Sun Feb 10 00:59:53 UTC 2008

Wow, I just wanted to say, with much pride, that I was able to follow
and conceptualise that whole explanation...I wish there was a
published textbook that breaks things down step-for-step like that.
Okay, I'm getting better at this and exploring it a lot more...I
think it'll be a while but I don't think it's beyond my reach.
What do you all use this skill for?  Besides applying it in
developing better second-language acquisition, do you reconstruct
Gothic to write in it regularly or...?

I was really hoping I'd be able to journal in Gothic but the nature
of journaling implies that I'd be fluent enough to represent a
natural daily thought spontaneously in Gothic, whereas I'm getting
the idea now that it would be such an effort and require so many
resources to coin neologisms and reconstructions that it'd be very,
very laboured, much too much for journaling.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@> wrote:
> >
> > Now, the "dwarf". You should know that the short [e] (like in PG
> *dwergaz) is written as aí (or ai) in the Wulfilan script. So, our
> root is *dwaírg-. What's with the ending? Is it also dropped? No,
> not all of it. The –a- disappears, that's right, but the final
Proto-