Principles of reconstruction.

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 11 03:01:37 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Or maybe better to reconstruct a hypothetical cognate of Modern
> English 'bathe' and say literally "I bathe myself"? OE. baþian, ON.
> baða, OHG. badôn, bathôn, Mod.G. baden, Du. baden would give us in
> Gothic a Weak Class 2 verb, *baþon, with which you'd use the
reflexive
> pronoun for the object (as in Icelandic: ég baða mig), thus Gothic:
> air uhtwon baþo mik.

Yes, baþo mik sounds definitely better than nima baþ. The latter is
an obvious Anglicism. I introduced it because we had to use the
reconstructed *baþ in the text.

One more dubious issue is bistigqan bi acc. I suspect it's more "to
stumble over smth." than "to push" or "to touch". But how can you
stumble with your elbow, unless you crawl on all fours? The sentence
#5 should be 'bistigqa bi ina fotau', taking into consideration the
usual size of dwarves. Or, maybe, 'bistigqa bi aleina is fotau
meinamma' lit. "I stumble over his elbow with my foot"?

The dwarf sitting on a tree twig (Go. tains M.-a) and resembling an
owl reminds me exactly of the "Wild Man in The Wood" we talked of
recently. Cf. Irish Suibhne geilt living on trees and perhaps also
the Nahuatl (Aztec) word for "demon" (= Go. skohsl) – tlâcatecolôtl,
lit. "man-owl", used in the Anales de Cuauhtitlan of the gods whom
human sacrifices were due to.