century, events, deaths

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 21 13:04:27 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Or alds (like Icelandic öld, which can mean both "era, age" and
> "century", nítjánda öldin "the 19th century"), or if the context
> didn't make it clear whether you were meant "era" or "century", you
> could always go with the obvious: taihuntehund jere "a hundred
years",
> twa hunda jere "two hundred years", etc.

alds seems OK. BTW I wanted to construct an example with "the 20th
century" and it turned out that I don't know how to
say "twentieth". "nineteenth" is *niuntaihunda (weak adj.), from
*niuntaihun "19" and not to confuse with niuntehund "90". In writing,
you could probably just write sa .k. aiws / so .k. alds, but how to
say it? The same concerns "30th", "40th" etc. Any ideas?