millennium

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 25 17:40:20 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Lombard" <manielombard at ...> wrote:

> Hails Walahrabn!

jah þu ni siukais, Manie!

> Oops, yes :))) Thanks
>
> So it is faura Xristau, but afar Xristu ? (or faura Xristáus
gabauranana; afar
> Xristáus gabauranamma?)

faura Xristau gabauranamma and afar Xristu gabauranana respectively.
Actually this is a calque from Latin (post aliquem natum "after
smbd. was born"), I don't know if it was acceptable to say so in
genuine Gothic. The accent on birth may be appropriate since we
count years from this precise date (be it real or artificially set
later), not from "Christ's time" in general.

Afar Xristau is not absolutely wrong, I must say. Temporal afar
rules accusative, that's right, but u-stems all too often confuse
dative and accusative.

> <Couldn't it also be *Mati-swinþa?
>
> (mats, mati-) meat-(swinþ) strong?

Why not? More appetizing than *Maþa-swinþa "worm-strong" :)
Seriously, I was thinking of "measure-strong" or smth alike.

Thanks for the quotation from N. Wagner!