Rosomil, Rosmunda, Rosamunda (and Rosomoni)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Feb 25 21:14:31 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> What makes me rather incredulous towards Bugge's theory is that the
forms attested in the codices all have what seems to be a bindvowel
between ros- and –moni/-mani. He doesn't address this problem (the
OHG rosamo is, of course, irrelevant).

Might this represent a vocalisation of the sonorant, or the
development of a svarabhakti vowel before a syllable-final sonorant as
happened in West Germanic. I'm thinking here of the name of the great
Ualarauans (*Walhahrabns) himself! Another example might be Odoacer
(*Audawakrs), unless that's just assimilation to the Latin ending -er.