Rosomil, Rosmunda, Rosamunda

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Feb 25 22:05:36 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@> wrote:
> >

> > Note especially the name 'rosmu-fjöll' in Atlakviða st. 17.
> >
> > "Seinat er nú, systir,
> > at samna Niflungum;
> > langt er at leita
> > lýða sinnis til,
> > of rosmufjöll Rínar
> > rekka óneissa."
>
> I remember reading that rosmufjöll is a reminiscence of Worms, the
> capital of the 1st Burgundian kingdom.

Which brings us neatly, albeit coincidentally, to Old English
'wyrm-réad', 'wyrm-basu' "scarlet" and 'wyrmlic fáh', 'wyrm-fáh'
"coloured red" (according to Wrenn & Bolton, "...and probably not
'decorated with serpentine patternings'"), 'wurma' "murex, purplefish,
purple"--and the Aztecs with their cochineal...