Rosomil, Rosmunda, Rosamunda (and Rosomoni)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 25 23:40:14 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...>
wrote:

> > His research of the Old Germanic color symbolism is interesting
> > ("red one" = "traitor", sen. McCarthy lässt grüssen), though one-
> > sided, to support his idea of the reddish gens infida. I'm sure
> > there are a lot of positive connotations as well. E.g. the red
beard
> > of Thor.
>
> Okay, some of the examples are a bit tenuous, but it's interesting
> that one of them is directly related to the man who betrayed
> Jörmunrekkr in an Old Norse version of the legend:
>
> Jeg slutter altsaa: Efter det af Jordanes gjengivne gotiske Sagn
hørte
> Ermanariks troløse Raadgiver, der i tydske Sagn kaldes Sibeche,
Sifka,
> i det nordiske Bikke, til Stammen Rosomoni eller Rusmunans d.
e. "de
> Rødlige" eller "de Fregnede". Men hertil passer den i Þiðrikssaga
Kap.
> 186 givne Skildring af Sifkas Ydre paa en mærkelig Maade:
>
> Sifca hans har er rautt som bloð eða rosa grasit oc karhofðaðr ( -
éða
> þat gras er heitir rusalitter ok liðaðiz allt i lokka A). hans
andlit
> er leost oc rauðfrecnottr (r -ott A B), oc biartan likama hævir
hann
> oc allan fręknottan, rautt skegg heuir hann oc hælldr sitt o.
s. v.

Incidentally, how will we reconstruct the name in Gothic - *Sibika
M.-an (a shortform of a name with Sibja-?) or *Bikk(j)a? In the
latter case a folk-etymological connection with "bitch" seems
arguable. Was there anything like *bikkjusonr in ON?