millennium (unbaurans)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 26 19:35:58 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 5:46 AM, llama_nom wrote:
>
> > skulum nu allai weis at swaleikai jah swa bairhtai insahtai guda
> > unbauranamma andsaljan sweriþa
> >
> > "we should all, at such a clear statement, render honour unto the
> > unborn god"--i.e. God the father who has no beginning or birth in the
> > human world, in contrast (according to the Arian view) to Christ.
> >

> Perhaps "unbegotten" instead of "unborn"?
>
> cf. the writings of Eunomius of Cyzicus.

And that's how we would normally put it in English, although "unborn"
is a literal reading of Gothic 'unbauranamma' [
http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/html/B156.html ], [
http://www.gotica.de/skeireins/ ].

unbegotten: unussatiþs--ei nimai broþar is þo qen is jah ussatjai
barna broþr seinamma (Mark 12:19).

unconceived: unganumans--jah haitan was namo is Iesus, þata qiþano
fram aggilau faurþizei ganumans wesi in wamba (Luke 2:21).