The Last Legion

Baira baira_bear at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 4 12:57:03 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

> For you who haven't seen it or don't know about it, check it out at
> wikipedia
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Legion
>
> I saw it from at a friends house and it was downloaded so I don't
> know if it's currently running or even if it has come to Sweden yet
> (that's where I live).
>
> Odoacer is said to be a goth and the barbaric people which wears fur
> cloths even though it's in italy are said to be goths as well. But
> most people say he was scirian. Another thing about the swedish
> translation is that they translates goths with 'galler' which is
> swedish for gauls.

I did not see the movie so I cannot comment on it. I read the book,
which is entertaining, pleasing to read and well-built. I do not like
the author's style, though, and often characters are very sketchy and
without any depth. Anyhow introspection was not the author's aim.

V. M. Manfredi, being a classical archaeologist, did his homework
well, and the historical reconstruction is good and sound. He also
draw inspiration from late Latin literature (like 'De Reditu' by
Rutilius Namatianus), so the background is vivid and exact.

I wouldn't use the book as a depiction of real Goths, though, because
in the storyeverything is seen through Roman eyes, Romans are the good
ones and Barbarians, mainly Goths, the baddies. Their representation
therefore is rather biased.

I know that the book was translated into English, have no idea of
other languages.