Ostrogothic settlement

gutdwala gutdwala at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 31 20:58:12 UTC 2008

According to Wikipedia, "with that final defeat,the remaining
Ostrogoths went back north and (re)settled in south Austria." I had
never heard this before, so I checked every book I could find at my
Uni's library. They all claimed the same thing's I've always heard,
that some joined the Franks, some kept their lands in northern Italy,
some went back to Scandinavia, and some were recruited into
Justinian's armies and sent to fight in the east. But no one ever
seems to cite sources or evidence for these claims, and no book
mentions all of these possibilities. So how much can we really say
about where the Ostrogoths eventually settled? What evidence do we
have and what do the sources say? Even Jordanes doesn't mention it.
Where are authors getting this information?