Northwest Germanic

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 14 11:10:58 UTC 2008

Hi, Ian

NWG is not something new - I've read for the first time about it many
years ago, and looked like something quite widely accepted among
linguists.
Don't remember exactly now what were the arguments for a NWG linguistic
community; but among others were for sure:
- the Umlaut
- the z>R>r evolution
- the definite article (?)
Other arguments, like the distinctions s-z, e-i, o-u may be shared
archaisms (otherways said: the loss of these distinctions is an
innovation of Gothic).
But these arguments are not always very solid:
- the Umlaut started at different times in WG and NG and was not
operating identically;
- the z>R>r evolution didn't work in the same conditions in WG and NG;
- the definite article in NG is different from that in WG; regarding
Gothic, it uses many times the demonstrative sa/so/thata as a definite
article.
On the other hand, there are arguments for a Gothic-NG community, like
for instance -ww- > -ggw- and -jj- > -ggj- (> Gothic -ddj-).

I'm sure that there is much more to be said related to this subject.

Fr.