Northwest Germanic

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 16 14:27:06 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> > Get. 22 Fervir = Go. *fairhveis pl.
>
> [...]
> And could it be that this name has a North Germanic source?

I guess so. I remember reading somewhere that Fervir = Fjäre in
Halland. Now, what is Fjäre? :)

It is interesting that, if the name is indeed i-stem plural, it
represents an evidence for rhotacism in NG as early as the 6th ct. or
even earlier (depends on where Jordanes got it from) and the sound
written by the Proto-Norse with the algiz rune [R] was already heard
close enough to [r]. Besides, I wonder why the name wasn't
automatically converted into Gothic as we would expect? Was *ferhwîR
not transparent for the Goths? Didn't Jordanes know Gothic as is
usually supposed? And why Suehans in Get. 21, then?