Fjäre, Fjære

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Mar 16 19:41:46 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@> wrote:

> > > [...]
> > > And could it be that this name has a North Germanic source?
> >
> > I guess so. I remember reading somewhere that Fervir = Fjäre in
> > Halland. Now, what is Fjäre? :)
>
> Any relation of Fjære in Aust-Agder, Norway? It would be good if we
> could track down some Old Norse attestations of these names.

Feminine on-stem apparently, meaning "shore" or "ebb(tide)" (=OIc.
fjara) < PG *ferwôn.

http://runeberg.org/svetym/0228.html
http://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/ordboksoek/ordbok.cgi?OPP=fj%E6re&begge=S%F8k+i+begge+ordb%F8kene&ordbok=bokmaal&alfabet=n&renset=j
http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/png/oi_cleasbyvigfusson/b0156.png

Well, they're both on the coast, so that makes sense. The question is:
does this Fervir refer to these placenames, and is the any possibility
that the modern placenames arose through a folk-etymological
reinterpretation of an old tribal name meaning "people", "living
beings"? Or maybe the tribal name was derived from this word for
beach: the people who live near the shore. And *then* the question is:
does the poetic word for "men" come from this tribal name, or is it a
separate word derived from the root meaning "life" (in OE and ON) or
"world" (in Gothic)?