Inrto & question on Irtag

A. xthanex at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 26 13:23:46 UTC 2008

Gerry,

Thank you for the reply!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Grsartor at ... wrote:

> About a reconstructed word for Tuesday.
>

> In a message on 3.10.2000 Albareiks offered a long list of
reconstructed terms including Teiwisdags for Tuesday. I have appended
his full list to this email.
> On 8.10.2000 he offered Teiws as the nominative of the god's name.
>

> I hope this is of interest.
> *Teiwisdags (sm) Tuesday

Returning to the original question, I am curious as to how much
support exists for the progression from ARHOS hHMERA > *Arjaus
dags or *Areins dags > OB erintag > NB ertag, erchtag, ergetag,
irtag, irchtag ... ???

I'm also curious as to how these Bavarian names came to be descended
from the Greek Ares rather than the Latin Mars. Is there any
historical precedent of Greek travellers bringing such cultural terms
to the lands of Germania?

Thanks again!
-Aydan