Filling in some gaps...

gutrazda gutrazda at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 22 03:27:10 UTC 2008

I've been trying to fill in some of the gaps in the grammar, just to
be excessive. Now, I'm sure some of these forms wouldn't have any real
use, or even make much sense if they were used, but humour me please.

Given that "twans hwanzuh" is attested, I've reconstructed the forms
of hwas and hwazuh as follows:
---
hwas ?hwai?
hwana hwans
hwis ?hwe?
hwamma ?hwaim?

hwa hwo?
hwa hwo?
hwis hwe?
hwamma hwaim?
instrumental:hwe

hwo ?hwos
hwo ?hwos
hwizos ?hwizo
hwizai ?hwaim
---

hwazuh ?hwaih
hwanoh hwanzuh
hwizuh ?hweh
hwammeh ?hwaimeh

hwah ?hwoh
hwah ?hwoh
hwizuh ?hweh
hwammeh ?hwaimeh

hwoh ?hwozuh
hwoh ?hwozuh
hwizozuh ?hwizoh
hwizaih ?hwaimeh
------------

And then mannhun:

mannahun ?mannanshun/manshun
mannanhun ?mannanshun/manshun
manshun ?mannehun
mannhun ?mannamhun

-------------

And the preterite-presents:

witan wait witum wissa wiss
lisan* lais lisum* lista lists
dugan* daug dugum* dauhta* dauhts*
kunnan kann kunnum kuntha kunths*
þaurban þarf þaurbum þaurfta þaurfts
gadaursan gadars gadaursum gadaursta gadaursts*
skulan skal skulum skulda skulds
munan man munum munda munds
binauhan* binah binauhum* binauhta* binauhts
ganauhan* ganah ganauhum* ganauhta* ganauhts*
gamotan gamot gamotum* gamosta gamosts*
ogan*/agan* og ogum* ohta ohts*
magan mag magum mahta mahts
aigan/aihan aih/aig aigum/aihum aihta aihts*

How do these look? If these forms existed, would they be correct? I
can at least imagine someone using the plural forms of mannahun just
as a matter of style:

"Nist mannahun saei..."
"Ni sind mannanshun þaiei..."

Anyway, any proofreading quick proofreading of the paradigms would be
appreciated. Or if you just want to tell me that I'm crazy for caring
about the plural of "what".