Antes==An(ak)tes/Anakes=Anaktes

gotenfreund ekinzel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 30 05:35:48 UTC 2009

I don't think the Slavic etymology is as absurd as you make it sound.

1. There is a semantic (and developmental) equivalent in the Germanic languages: German Herzog, which is attested in Old Saxon, Old High German, and Old English (and possibly others of which I am unaware). It originally meant "army" + "puller, tugger, attracter" (sorry for bad translation). So, "war leader" or "chieftain" in its archaic meaning, it later became, and is now, a hereditary title in German: "Duke".

2. nouns formed on the model "voiyevod" are common in Slavic: peshechod, lit. "go by foot", i.e. "pedestrian"; listopad, lit. "leaf-falling", i.e. "October"; Samoyed, lit. "self-eater", i.e. "cannibal", for the Russians thought the Samoyeds were cannibals when the first encountered them.

3. Your theory would need to explain how a Romanian term came into use in Kiev and Novgorod. Did the Romanians have such an influence on the Russian language, as well as all other Slavic languages?