Shulanda

authari authari at MAIL.RU
Tue Feb 3 08:53:41 UTC 2009

Dear Ingemar
Thank you for information.
Just some notices. Your etimolomology fits situation very well.
Shulanda is on a plateau  near mountain pass through rock perimeter.
This pass id blocked by fortress wall of rubble stone. There is also a
concentration of stone constructions with Late Roman pottery. Shulanda
is only 2-3 kilometers from Eski-Kermen â€" Byzantine fortress built in
6-7 cc.  Some kilometers to the West from Shulanda excavated
cemeteries Saharnaja Golovka, Inkerman and Chornaja rechka with
cremations and other Germanic features.
Some notices
It was surprising for me to read about Germanic origin of Alusta
toponim because it has very good greek explanation. Aluston and
Gorzubitae were build by Justinian the Great and are inside an area of
distribution of cemeteries  Type Suuk-su (with some Germanic features).
As for the Uskut it is outside Gothic area (most eastern cemetery of
this type at South Coast partly excavated by Lysenko and Teslenko two
years ago at Semidvorje â€" several kilometers to the east from
Alushta). Kurtiev is never mentioned in works of any serious
scientist; he is not researcher but story writer. Superanskaya’s
collection of toponims (it is not a map, no map provided) is of almost
no value â€" all of it taken from popular books and turistic maps, even
I know more. Crimean toponimics is not lost â€" almost all of it were
collected by recently dead Bel’ansky. He put several thousands  of it
on the map (I have a copy, sorry it is still unpublished).
Tatarian onomastics are extremely surprising mixture. Now among most
popular names is Marlen (Marx-Lenin), Lemara (Lenin-Marx) and many of
 turcic, Arabian, Slavic, Caucasian, Persian, Cenral Asian origin.
Local bureau of passport registration gone crazy when they had
repatriated. Some of it has no uniform pronunciation (several
variants). It was said about Gafrid.

As for the archeological evidences of Crimean goths. There are near
one hundred cemeteries of 6-9 cc AD (some of it started even in late
4th century) known as catacomb cemetries of type Suuk-su and disposed
in the South coast and SW Crimea (to the west from Alma river).
Let you turn to publications of  A.I. Ajbabin. (he had excavated
Luchistoje, Eski-kermen, Bakla and some more sites and issued some
pornographies and plenty of articles.
More than that two cemetries with cremations and weapons of 4-5 cc AD
(Ay-Todor near Oreanda and Chatyr-Dag near Alushta) are Germanic but
not Gothic (may be herulian). Near Partenites (between Yalta and
Alushta) they had excavated Late Roman sanctuary Aligora with bif
fireplace, crashed glass vessel, terra sigilata and hand made pottery
dated by coins of Gallian usurpers (Tetric etc). It was possible
German mercenaries or pirates.
Ay-Todor excavated and published in several articles of Orlov in 80-ies.
Chatyr-Dag are receintly published as a book
Several cemeteries with cremations are also excavated or found around
Chersones (now all of it are robbed).
Germans at Kerch peninsula is a separate tale; now I don’t want touch it.

Mangup.
Archeological expedition of Tavrian National univ. (Simferopol)
excavates this site for decades. Very few material is published.
Dissertation of prof. Alexander Gertsen about fortifications system
(Russian lang.) issued in 1990 now is accessible via internet- if
anybody need I will find the link Last years we get material which
proved that fortress was built not at the time of Justinian but
earlier â€"V century. Settlement at Mangup plateau with Late Roman
material existed even in the and of IV c AD. Material from Lagernaya
Balka gives except pottery, amphorae (mostly imported) terra sigilata,
coins and animal bones also some fibulae of pure Chernjahov type.
There are several catacomb cemetries of 4-9 cc at the outskirts of
Mangup. I had excavated some. Two months ago finished works of
Sidorenko at cemetery of 6-8 cc near Khodzha-sala.
Most important cemetery is Almalyk â€" it gives rich comlices  of late 4
â€" late 8 cc AD. Ther are some graves with luxury finds of type
Untersiebenbrunn. It even not only similar â€" some is identical. Here
also fount one cremation grave, two kurgans and horse graves (similar
to Djurso cemetery near Anapa â€" which belonged as they think to
tetraxites). We found there also some swords (2 short and 2 spatha),
many arrowheads of hunnic type and plates of bone for bows.
One spath with silber buckles was fount in a separate pit inside
chamber grave â€" it was hidden.
Two years I have found in a grave of early 6 c. an umbo (shield-boss)
of type very close to Horula.   Seems like swords   was not rare here
â€" there are many pieces of it found with a flintstones in sets for
ignition, but it was not common to put it inside grave. This fact is
surprised a bit because this population was alano-gothic mixture and
for alans swords in graves are common.
Materials of near 100 graves of Almalyk and some nearest cemetries of
this type is now processed by Dr. Magdalena Manczynska (Lodz) and this
year I hope  will be published as a catalogue in Germany.
RGZM taken  samples of 30 skeletons of DNA from Almalyk â€" soon we will
know results
I have many publications in PDF (like Chatyr-Dag, Sacharnaya Golovka
(Sovkhoz 10) etc.
If  anybody need it I can put it on rapidshare. Sorry it is Russian
language.

The best book about Goths in Ukraine and Crimea is MB Schukin “Gotskij
Put’” â€" “Gothish way” â€" in it you can find almost all bibliography.
http://rapidshare.com/files/85431329/Shukin_Gotish_way.pdf.html

I have made a website about Mangup excavations
It has English version. http://mangexp.narod.ru/index.html

Some photos from Almalyk
Glass bowl from chamber grave 2 (5th century)- 3D reconstruction
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9185/glassmiswh1.jpg

Artificially deformed scull from Chamber grave 191 (early 6 cent)
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5479/scull1lm3.jpg

Inside a chamber grave
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1172/ksjuqj4.jpg

Gold anthropomorphic plates (V c AD)