Codex

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 24 15:46:53 UTC 2009

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "g_scaff" <g_scaff@> wrote:
> >
> > Hails,
> >    R.Elliot in his book _Runes, An Introduction_, pg34 refers to
> > a "Salzburg codex 140, now codex 795" of the Austrian national
Library
> > in Wien, a manuscript which has the rune and letter names in
> > Gothic/Gepidic.
> >     The codex Vindobonensis 795 on gotica.de is clearly not this
> > manuscript, does anyone know of the codex I'm looking for, and
where it
> > might be on the web?
> >                               Thank you, Gregory

It's the same manuscript, but this is just a part of the Gothic
material in it. Besides the numbers and sample phrases here [
http://www.gotica.de/vindobonensis.html ], the codex contains two
versions of the Gothic alphabet, along with the Gothic names for their
letters, apparently transcribed according to Old High German spelling
conventions. Titus has a list of the names alongside those of the
runes for comparison [
http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/idg/germ/runennam.htm ].