introduction

Harald Schmidt freihals2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 18 11:49:27 UTC 2009

Hails frithureiks!

Nice to see you ! I live in Austria, Vienna. It is my hobby to try to translate the Wulfila Bible with the help of a dictionary (Köbler). I have read the grammars of Streitberg and Braune. Colloquial use of gothic is very much limited by the volume of vocabulary. This phenomenon is similar to latin and a common problem with extinct languages. Though the volume of latin words is much larger it still exists a big lack of daily life words. The state of Vatican which is the only state all over the world with an extinct language as its official language has some experience in developing new words by deriving them from older ones or from roots of words, the only way to revive ancient languages. Let´s see what we can do.

Harald

________________________________
From: Fredrik <gadrauhts at hotmail.com>
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:55:03 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: introduction

Háils Harald!

Nice to see you here and especially that you're interested in colloquial use of gothic. So am I, eventhough I haven't been able to be that much active in using it or learning it etc. because of my studies. So where are you from and how much do you know gothic at this point? Some people here have tried to fill out the gothic vocabulary with non attested words and some words for modern thing such as car, computer, electricity etc.

Hope you will help completeing the vocabulary.

/Friþureiks