Naming practices

Andreas Schwarcz andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Sat Dec 25 13:39:53 UTC 2010

Dear Randulfs,

thank you for reminding us of Jordanes's prejudices.
I might possibly have forgotten otherwise that
Jordanes worked for the Amal magister militum
Gunthigis, also called Baza, whose father Andagis
had killed the Visigothic king Theoderic in the
battle on the Catalaunian fields, and that he wrote
an abridged version of the lost History of the Goths
by Cassiodorus. That both authors wrote histories of
the Goths in  praise of the famliy of Theoderic the
Great is quite well known, but does not concern the
original point in question, namely the connection
between the appellation Balthus and the Visigothic
king Alaric I. As Jordanes states, Balthus means
audax, "daring", and is the name of Alaric's family,
"cui erat post Amalos secunda nobilitas".

The course of history may prove many things, but
Jordanes did not speak of a "primacy of the
Amalungs", so he cannot be proved wrong by anyone in
that, not even by "the course of history", whatever
that may be. What Jordanes may have ment could be
interpreted as a relative ranking of nobility,
expressed for instance in the fact that the
Visigothic king named his son by an Ostrogothic
princess Amalaric after the family of his father-in-
law Theoderic, not after his own family traditions.
By the time Jordanes wrote his history, the last
king of the line of the Balts, Amalaric, by the way
himself an Amal by his mother and wearing an Amal
name, had been deposed by Theudis, an Ostrogothic
general, whereas there were a lot of Amals around in
Constantinople, where Jordanes wrote his history,
and the Amal princess and former queen Mathasuntha
was married to Justinian's brother Germanus.

Best regards,
        Andreas Schwarcz

On 24 Dec 2010 at 18:45, r_scherp wrote:

> And do remember that Jordanes was prejudiced. I think the course of history has proved his assessment of
> the primacy of the Amalung wrong.
>
> Randulfs
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Schwarcz" <andreas.schwarcz at ...> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Tom,
> >

> > Alaric is a name, not a title, and Balthus is the (royal or noble) family he
> > was from (the Latin source calls him "genere Baltha", "from the family of
> > the Balthi", and Jordanes writes that this family is only second in nobility
> > to the family of the Amali, the family of Theoderic the Great). The name
> > Balthus may also indicate some ethnic connection of the family. Other
> > members of this family may have been Ariaric, Aoric, Athanaric and Alaviv,
> > who were leaders of the Tervingi before Alaric. So to call him Alaric the
> > Bold or Bold Alaric would both be wrong.
> >

> > All the best,
> >
> > Andreas Schwarcz
> >

> > Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr. Andreas Schwarcz
> >
> > Institut für Österreichische Geschichtsforschung
> >
> > Universität Wien
> >
> > Dr. Karl Lueger-Ring 1
> >
> > A 1010 Wien
> >
> > Austria