Auhjodjus Þahainais

anheropl0x anheropl0x at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 28 14:14:03 UTC 2010

Hello, Gerry! Thanks for the reply. As I said before, this final draft has flaws that I've found in the past few months, and you've wonderfully pointed out more that I will either concur with, dispute or explain. Let's go in order with what you said.

"I think the construction in lines 5-6 should be amended to "soei in huga"
etc; or if "so" is allowed to stand then "was" should be dropped."
   After giving it some thought, "soei" should be in there. I originally meant it so be simply "so siuns" with inverted word order as I see so commonly, but even with the passive tense of miþsatjan, it makes no sense to not have the cj "that" in the line.

"In the fifth line of verse 2, I suspect the word for stabbed was meant to
be "stugqana", and in the next line "split" should be represented by
"disskaiskaiþ": the Goths do not seem to have let themselves off reduplication  in
the preterite when a verb of Class 7 had a prefix: consider, e.g.,
fralailot,  the preterite of fraletan. If the indicated change would mess the rhythm
up, not  to mention its being awkward to pronounce, it might be reasonable
to drop the  dis- prefix, since "skaidan" by itself seems to have had
something like the  required meaning."
   Massive typo on my part. I in fact meant the sv I verb disskreitan, which in pret. third person sing. becomes disskraiþ (why it makes that -t a -þ I am somewhat lost on). But, as you pointed out, skaidan could be used as well, making skaiskaiþ. As for NE stabbed, I had been using the verb stikan, found here under S for stab (v.): http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/letters.htm Though whether you find this dictionary to be legitimate is your call. P.P. of stikan being stikans, and declined strong to nom. pl. neut. should be stikana. I believe the reason I went with nom. pl. masc. is because after searching at length I came across a sample of my sentence in the Silver Bible where masculine was used for a neuter noun, which fits perfectly with augona. I can't think of the example, nor where I found it, because I'm sure after a few hours of working on this, my brain shut down haha. This verb can still be discussed though, but there is my reasoning for stikana.

"In verse 4, if "galeiko" governs a dative, its second occurrence would have
to be followed by "rigna dumbamma". Possibly this would make the line
rather  full of syllables. If so, then the problem might be cured by using "swe"
rather  than "galeiko"; for in all the relevant examples I have managed to
find, the  word acts like a conjunction, and so there would be a choice
between "rign dumb"  and "rign dumbata"."
   The adverb/adjective "like" is ungodly hard for me to translate correctly, since there seems to be so many ways to do it. There's swa, swe, galieks, galeiko. And they all seem the same to me, though I think of swe, swa, swaswe more as "as" than "like." Help would be appreciated in this. I did search as much as I could examples of all four and found galeiko to be the most forgiving and neutral to how it is used, but I had no idea it governs the dative. I have read that no where, though I see galeiks governs the dative. It seems that like is overused in English and other languages have problems coming up with a simple way to equal its meaning as well (take for example German having gefallen, mögen and gern haben). So for this one, I certainly say it's debatable. Though the person who helped me iron out a lot of mistakes had nothing to say about it if I recall.

"In the fifth line of verse 5, the reference to a prophet has been
overlooked; and was the use of "writanona" deliberate rather than from an
involuntary thought of English? I think the expected word would be "melida" or "ufmelida"."
   I agree with you for the most part of this. I had found somewhere that pl. waurd meant message from prophets. And now that I can't find this anywhere without more extensive searching, I feel.. well... less than smart at having done that. I do think I originally had prophets in there. "writanona" is the weak P.P. declension in pl. nom. neut. Wreitan, according to the aforementioned dictionary, means inscribed or engraved, which on a wall seems a bit more fitting. If I were to use the verb meljan or gameljan, the correct declension would be (ga)melidona for weak and (ga)melida for strong. "ufmeljan" I can not find in Wright's dictionary. Though according to a random site, means to sign (as in agreeing to a document).

"In the last line I think "auhjodjuns" should be "auhjoduns"."
   Another typo. Can't believe I let that one slip by. Thanks for catching it.

Anyway, my name is Johann. :) And I thank you for taking the time to look this over and point out the major flaws like that. This helps further my knowledge more than most things, since I've no one to sit down with and actively study Gothic.