Flamingo

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 31 08:50:14 UTC 2010

Hailai allai.

Since no-one has answered the question about the origin of "flamingo" I will offer what help I can, which regrettably is not much. The Oxford English Dictionary confirms that the ending is Germanic but gives no details. The earliest given example of its use in English is from 1565, but the OED mentions that the ending occurs in other words occasionally in Old French, which presumably makes its use in non-Germanic tongues at least as old as 1000 years. But whether there is reason to ascribe the ending to the Goths is another matter.

Gerry T.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory <g_scaff at yahoo.com>
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:51
Subject: [gothic-l] Flamingo

Hello all,

Does anyone know the origin of the word "flamingo" ?

What I have read is:

 "from Port. flamengo, Sp. flamengo, lit. "flame-colored" > from Prov. flamenc,

from flama "flame" + Germanic suffix -enc "-ing, belonging to."

Is the Germanic suffix Gothic by chance?

Happy New Year all!

Gregory

    Individual Email | Traditional

    (Yahoo! ID required)