Gothic names

gotenfreund ekinzel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 5 04:26:00 UTC 2010

Randulfs,

I have a Gothic etymological dictionary (Holthausen) which includes some reconstructed names. I haven't quite figured out how the author determined which ones he wanted to reconstruct, though, since it doesn't seem to include all Gothic names, just a random selection. He does includes multiple possibilities for some reconstructions, however, which is interesting. For example, *Grautungos, *Griutungos, *Grutungos, all for Greuthungi.

I should mention the book was originally published in 1934, so it's not exactly cutting-edge scholarship perhaps, but the price was right.

I also like seeing the names in their Gothic form.

Gotenfreund