Hirjan???

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 7 12:48:43 UTC 2011

About hiri and its kin:

Lehmann tells us that "hiri" is used as an adverb meaning "hither" (Greek deuro) in John 11:43 and that elsewhere it translates the Greek imperative "erkhou" (come). There are also a dual "hirjats" and a plural "hirjith". We are told that these are "massively discussed" words with two problems, one being the maintenance of -i- before r. A proposed solution, though not, it seems, by any means the only one, is that the letter may have been kept because of the analogy with "hidre". In effect the forms we are concerned with may be derived from something corresponding to English "hither" after loss of the middle part of the word.

Gerry T.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frithureiks <gadrauhts at hotmail.com>
To: gothic-l <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 21:40
Subject: [gothic-l] Hirjan???

Is there a word 'hirjan' (or smth like that) meaning to come here?

What I suppose the attested forms are imperative. Hiri! and/or Hirjats!

= Come here!

A strange thing is ofcourse the combination 'ir' which never occures in gothic.

It's always 'ai' before r.

Is it a typo?

Should it in stead be hairi, hairjats etc?

Or is it maybe hidrjan and hence hidri!, hidrjats?

All connected to hidre = hither, to this place.

    Individual Email | Traditional

    (Yahoo! ID required)

    gothic-l-digest at yahoogroups.com

    gothic-l-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com