Treaty agreements Danubian Goths - Rome

Thomas Chelmowski the_lothian at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 15 13:32:22 UTC 2011

Hello,

In the Foedus between Rome and the Danubian Goths, while the Goths were still in Wallachia they probably received some payment from Rome along with access to border trading crossings.

What happened to that agreement once the Goths were settled in Lower Moesia?  They were granted land in exchange (I am sure) for providing security for that region of the border.  But, does anyone know if they still received payment?

My guesses are:
1.  If they did receive payment, I would assume the payment went to the Kindins who doled it out as he saw fit.
2.  If the foedus was invoked and Rome issued a call to arms (like in 394) I assume the soldiers would receive sustenance while under arms.

My questions are:
How was this payment delivered?
To whom was it delivered?
Was it a once a year payment or were payments made at the Emperor's whim?
Were there bonuses paid after a campaign where the Goths provided manpower (and lost men in the conflict?)

Thanks a lot. You guys are great.