Yule moon

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Fri Dec 9 23:21:29 UTC 2011

Hi everybody!

Tonight from midnight 9th december is the full moon. Add to this date the seven
lost days from the Iulian calender and it is the 16th december. The moon cycle
varies slightly during 8 years but starts the 13th. That date is the present
Lusse(Lucia) in Sweden but earlier it was the religious day for the Yule
celebration. The church has tried to replace it with the saint Lucia but they
never succeeded in getting people forget the real thing. Hence we still eat
bread in shape of the rune J for harvest and prosperity that very day. The
farmers celebrated as well the midwinter solstice but the moon calendar was used
for sacrifice and adoration of the gods. Next full moon is called the winter
moon and starts the winter month. Accordingly the old Yule/Jul is in a cultic
context right now!

Merry Yule, Gutes Weinachten, God Jul everybody!

(I do not use English, French, Spanish or Italian greetings since they refer to
a later kind of celebration and not the real original Yule/Jul but everybody are
still greeted irrespective of language!)

Ingemar