Athni

gotenfreund ekinzel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 27 00:16:35 UTC 2011

Brian,

My dictionary (Holthausen, 1934) has Gothic athn(s) (D.pl. athnam) as related to Latin annus <*at-nos, and meaning only "year."

It also lists asans, "Summer, Harvest", which is claimed to be derived from *aznu, *aznon, the same source as Old High German ar(a)n, arnot, "Harvest." Related forms are Russ. osen, Old Prussian assanis, both meaning "Autumn."

Gothic jer also means "Year", and is the form related to ON and OE words you cite, as well as Greek hora, "Season", and Polish jar, "Spring."

That's all I have to illuminate the situation.

Eric