Gothic names, reconstructions, and derivations?

marja erwin marja-e at RISEUP.NET
Sat Apr 7 00:54:30 UTC 2012

A while back I asked about possible reconstructions of the original
Gothic form of 'Arimerios.' I'm still wondering about that, and about
some other names from the later fourth century:

Widely-accepted reconstructions:

*Friþugairns for 'Fritigernus'

Some hypothetical reconstructions:

*Alaþius for 'Alatheus' and 'Alavivus' - this assumes deliberate
reclamation of þius, perhaps to contrast with reiks.

*Audaþius for 'Odotheus' - similar considerations apply

*Airiwulfs for 'Eriulf' - early wolf?

Still looking:

'Arimerios'

'Fravitta'

Probably not Gothic, although if someone is familiar with Sarmatian,
Alanic, or Ossetian, it would be nice to comment:

'Saphrax'

'Farnobius'

[Farna has some religious significance - maybe favor, in Ossetic,
right?]