Names of Gothic deities

OSCAR HERRE duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sat Dec 22 16:39:02 UTC 2012

we talkin prechristian......i was thinking thor, odin, loki,etc.....

--- On Sat, 12/22/12, halsteis at pvv.ntnu.no <halsteis at pvv.ntnu.no> wrote:

From: halsteis at pvv.ntnu.no <halsteis at pvv.ntnu.no>
Subject: [gothic-l] Names of Gothic deities
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, December 22, 2012, 10:34 AM

Hi.
I have been searching the archives, and the Internet, for the names of
Gothic deities. I have the impression that there are no original sources
for these, only reconstructions. Am I right in this?

By original sources I mean inscriptions in a Gothic context (on artifacts
etc.) or in Late Antique text. That excludes Jordanes' "Mars" etc., as I
am interested in the names more than the functions.

Halstein.