Names of Gothic deities

halsteis at PVV.NTNU.NO halsteis at PVV.NTNU.NO
Sun Dec 23 11:43:45 UTC 2012

Hi.
> In Jordanes only Mercury/Wodan and Mars/Týr are mentioned at least
> according to the normal transcriptions of the Roman names. In any case
> these are the names bobbing up later i Northern Germania. Looking to the
> Gods mentioned in other sources we have only descriptions. Athanaric
> ordered a wagon with a goddess driven around the villages  and ordered all
> to worship it and  when the Vesi crossed the limes a goðe and a gydja
> brought the holy relics of each kunja. Given the time the goddess probably
> was Ingun/Njärð/Nerthus and hence the chief fertility god was Ingr. Freyr
> and Freya are later names of those deities connected with the continental
> Wodan/Óðdinn. Most probably the Goths were Ingaevones concerning the
> popular cult but the chiefs worshiped Gaut who was later merged with the
> continental Woden/Óðinn (Mercury). Mars/Týr was probably a  replacement
> for ÚllR since Týr seems never to have reached further North  than
> Denmark. Þórr probably was already from the beginning since we also know
> the Baltic Perkuna. The kunja practized also ancestor cult.

Thanks for the info. I think Jordanes only uses Mercury/Mars, and not the
Germanic names. I was hoping for things like runic inscriptions.

My relatives in Stockholm have a summer cabin outside the city, at Tyresö,
which I guessed was named after Týr. Thats north of Denmark. But the name
might be later.

> This is of course qualified guesswork since we really not know.
>
> To all of you a Merry Turn of the Solar Wheel/Solhjulet this Yule/Jul and
> a very good new year cycle in the names of the gods!
>
> Jul, jul, jul as the Varangians cried dancing in a circle at the imperial
> court!
>
> Ingemar

A merry Yule to all
Halstein.