Introduction and King Wamba

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sun Feb 12 12:29:09 UTC 2012

There are several legends about Wamba and it is definitely not the usual way a Visigothic king was appointed. Some details even seem to be part of the trubadour tradition from Provence which later continues in the stories of King Arthur like the hunt of the hind. Also in the Didriks saga the same story  of the hunt is recognizeable and it has as well roots in the Bysantine tradition. I would pay no heed to that story.This was as well late in the Visigothic era and the kings now, since  Reccared had claimed to be king of Gods grace, were Catholic and not Arian and the church had  a strong position with the very conservative Catholic Councils in Toledo persecuting  both Arians and Jews. A saintly king suited well into the picture.

Welcome to the list. I as well hope we can discuss much history and not only language. It is a little peculiar that we  discuss much more Gothic history on Germanic list than on Gothic where it indeed should be discussed.

Best greetings
Ingemar