Family relations in the gothic language

Mike mremic01 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 3 22:39:04 UTC 2012

The attested terms are:

atta / fadar - father
aiþei / modar* - mother
broþar - brother
swistar - sister
sunus - son
dauhtar - daughter
swaihra - father-in-law
swaihro - mother-in-law

'Atta' and 'aiþei' are the words that are typically used for father and mother. There is one instance of 'fadar' in Galatians 4:6, and 'modar' is a possible reconstruction analogous to 'fadar'. Unfortunately, only so much of the language has survived, so other terms for family relationships would have to be reconstructed.