Rune Orthography

Kevin Behrens becareful_icanseeyourfuture at HOTMAIL.DE
Sat Mar 3 21:39:14 UTC 2012

Hello,
well, in the book of Pierguiseppe Scardigli, Die Goten - Sprachen und Kultur, 1964, he writes on page 144 that in Runic Alphabet the long and short "o" and "e" are written with the same letter which in this cases is "o" and "e", there is no "Gotische Brechung" as in the Gothic Alphabet borrowed from the Greek Alphabet.
Liubos goleinis,
Kevin

To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
From: the_lothian at yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 13:26:18 -0800
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Rune Orthography

      Hails Thomas,

As far as I know (and I am only a writer, not a scholar) the Goths had no written language until it was created with the specific purpose of translating the bible.

  I would assume that once they had an alphabet (Greek) why would they want to invent yet another unless it would make it understandable to another reader who was ignorant of the Greek characters.  (that, I would guess, would be the Latin characters)

That is why my question about the oral traditions.