Rune Orthography

anheropl0x anheropl0x at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 8 21:35:45 UTC 2012

I would imagine that the ai that arose from e would simply be written e, and the au the arose from o would be written o. This is one of the more confusing things about Gothic from a philological point of view. Why did Wulfila decide to use two characters to write a specific phoneme? I think that's something we'll never know. But this is why it is important to keep the three ai's and three au's in mind. One comes from Germanic ai/au, and the others come from e/o. According to Voyles, the "third" ai/au (in words like saian and trauan) come from e and o or u.

"That is, stressed /Ä« Ä", ō Å«/ â†' /É›, É" (with macrons)/ if followed by a vowel. E.g., EG inf. *sḗ+an 'sow' and the nom. sing. *sḗ+Ä`+z 'seed' (ev.) > Go. saian /sá½³an (with macron over á½³)/ and seþs /sḗθs/; inf. *bū́+an 'to build', *trū́+an 'to trust' > Go. bauan /bÉ"an (with macron and acute over É")/, trauan /trÉ"an (with macron and acute over É")/."