How to write sh-sound?

Michael Everson everson at EVERTYPE.COM
Mon Mar 19 21:02:04 UTC 2012

On 19 Mar 2012, at 20:29, Kevin Behrens wrote:

> And for the "sh" sound in most cases 𐍃𐌷 is written, it seems to be a not outspoken intuitive rule among the users there. And I think it is the best way. Since it wasn't in the Gothic pronounciation, we don't need letters, that are as much as possible close to the Gothic language.

I think you'll find ΣΙ used in Greek to approximate [ʃ]. If one is going to construct neologisms in an ancient language, one should do it in an authentic fashion. Since Gothic is based in Greek, I think ΣΗ would be a rather unlikely choice for this. 𐍃𐌾𐌰𐌿𐌺𐍉𐌻𐌰𐍄𐌰, σιαυκολατα, yes. Σηαυκολατα, I really don't think so.

> We could just adopt "sh" as 𐍃𐌷 and everything is fine, too many thoughts about that would maybe be off target. It's the most intuitive way of doing it and so the easiest way for learners.

English-speaking learners, maybe. I still believe that 𐍃𐌹 would be the better choice. For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of this sort of thing, and I helped to encode Gothic and Coptic and other Greek-derived scripts in Unicode.