How to write sh-sound?

Kevin Behrens becareful_icanseeyourfuture at HOTMAIL.DE
Mon Mar 19 22:10:43 UTC 2012

 > But if we use ancient ways it is more authentic, and more fun.
So, it is fun? ;)

Well, I don't want to insist on my version. I would go fine with <sj> aswell.
But I will comment your comments on my comments. ;)
The thing with English learners is, for them the "sh" is already really common and familiar.
And sure, <sh> could be devided into two syllables, but that should be clear when reading it. But there is no other possible pronounciation thinkable, except maybe an aspirated [s]. If we all decide about <sj> as to be [ʃ] we will always have the problem of ambiguation between [ʃ] and [sj]. For "foreign" people this might end in confusion. This is my biggest problem with this version. I already talked to Robert Pfeffer, the creator of the Gothic fonts, if he had time for creating and extended gothic font with added signs for not-gothic transcription. But he doesn't have the time for it. In the gothic wikipedia we have to big problem, that we don't have any rules of transcription from English to Gothic yet. I would be really happy if this discussion will go further and might end into a set of rules for a standardized transcription. If we could make changings on the gothic font, we could make a sign for <sj> that both letters are a bit more closer so that they appear more as belonging together.

I would agree with your version:
𐍃𐌾  [sj]  > [sʲ]  > [ʃ]

𐍄𐍃𐌾 [tsj] > [tsʲ] > [tʃ]

𐌶𐌾  [zj]  > [zʲ]  > [ʒ]