Greeting Hails

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Thu May 31 08:36:31 UTC 2012

I think it is reasonable to expect that "hails" would change like other
adjectives. It is perhaps an implied imperative (it translates an imperative
in  the original Greek), being in full something like

be thou hale.

The plural "hailai" is attested in the sense "hale/healthy", as in Matt
9:12

ni þaurbun hailai lekeis - the hale do not need a doctor.

I am unsure why there is a slight difference between the versions in Mark
and in John of the line "hail, King of the Jews":

hails þiudan Iudaie - Mark 15:18
hails þiudans Iudaie - John 19:3

The first evidently has "þiudan" as a vocative. If the apparent nominative
in John is not due to miscopying or looseness of usage it perhaps contains
an  implied subjunctive - [may] the King of the Jews [be] hale.

Gerry T.