Greeting Hails

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Thu May 31 19:29:34 UTC 2012

Well, it looks as if we have a variety of suggestions: stick with "hails"
in all circumstances, as the expression may have become formulaic; decline
it  for gender and number in the normal way; or take a look at what Old Norse
did,  since it has bequeathed us a large body of literature, and the
language  distinguished genders in both singular and plural. It is a pity we no
longer  seem to have llama_nom, who could doubtless have informed us about
this. The  only further comment I can make about Old Norse usage is that in the
example  Þunragais gave us,

verit heilir, konungr

the use of a plural verb with plural adjective in a remark addressed to a
king looks as if it might be a polite use of a plural for a logical singular
 such as we find in a lot of European tongues, including French and German
(not  to say English, in which the process has run its course by having the
singular  "thou/thee" ousted by the plural "ye/you"). Could Þunragais or
others tell us  more about the Old Norse practice?

Gerry T.