Gothic word for "girl"...?

Edmund edmundfairfax at YAHOO.CA
Wed Aug 21 21:40:00 UTC 2013

I should have put this in the last e-mail.

As to 'null', it is a loanword from French 'nulle', the fem. form of 'nul' (cf. Italian 'nullo'), which descends ultimately from Latin 'nullus' (= ne ullus 'not any'). The same element appears in the verb 'to annul' (Latin 'annullare'). The cognates in the other Germanic languages are all loanwords from Romance.

'Zero' is likewise a loanword, through French or Italian, ultimately from Arabic 'cifr', which also gives 'cipher'. (See the entries in the full Oxford English Dictionary).

The concept of 'zero' was introduced into mathematics during the High Middle Ages (that is, after roughly 1000 AD). The concept, like the word itself, was taken from Arabic math.

Thus, it is most certain that there was no word for 'zero' in Gothic or any other early Germanic language.

The best way to fill the lacuna is simply to use 'ni waihts' ('nothing'), cf. the use of 'nought' in Early Modern English.

Edmund